Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Glowing Feet

Tuesday, February 22, 2011
6:42 AM in Kolonia, 11:42 AM at home


How many times has this happened to you? You wake up at 6:00 a.m., manage to drag yourself out of bed, some how successfully navigate down the bunk bed ladder of death (it’s attached to nothing, and the coefficient of friction between the linoleum tile and the wooden ladder is not comforting), stumble through the living room, managing to avoid most of the furniture without waking your roomies, and you’re just about to reach for the light switch when…

…you realize your feet are glowing. Green.

No? It doesn’t happen to you? Okay, there’s weirder stuff that happens to a person at 6:00 in the morning, right? There isn’t? Hmm. I was having some pretty weird dreams, maybe I should go back to bed and try this whole waking up thing again.

But wait! We should make the most of this science opportunity and play with it! Whatever “it” is… Is it our feet? No, they don’t glow when you hold them up and poke them. Is it the floor? Must be, it glows a little when I push on it with my finger, but add some more force (like my feet), and it lights right up. Is it everywhere? No, it just seems to be this patch of space by my chair. And that pile of dust where the broom is standing. Is it bioluminescent fungi? Why would they be growing on my floor? Is it bioluminescent algae? I did have my wet clothes from the camping trip and the boat ride sitting there. Is it weird? Very. Is it cool? Awesome! Should I wake my roomies up to show them? Probably not… Is anyone going to believe me later? Ha! No…

1 comment: