Saturday, April 2, 2011

Days Go By

Sunday, April 3, 2011
10:30 AM in Kolonia, 4:30 PM at home


It’s going by so fast.

I’m not ready for it to be over. We’re in April already and almost to midterms.

The moments are flying.

I had the most wonderful birthday imaginable, and have never felt so bombarded with love. My students sang to me about 6 dozen times, baked me cakes and brownies (dark chocolate!), made necklaces, gave me pictures, drew me platypuses, brought me bananas, and wrote me beautiful letters. I love my kids. MY kids!

My darling Physics class!
Last Thursday was Cultural Day. I got to go to one of the celebrations where several of the islands were participating. Quite possibly one of the coolest things I’ve gotten to experience here. They even gave us mwaramwars and fed us lunch with the local food baskets. Felt a little spoiled…

Group from Pohnpei

Warrior dance from I-Kiribati group

Yapese performers
A couple of days ago I got to see a bit of FSM’s capitol in Palikir. We weren’t expecting that side tour on Friday, but it was a lot of fun. We got to see the Senate, the library, and had a tour of the Supreme Court. 

Senate of the Federated States of Micronesia

Supreme Court of the Federated States of Micronesia
And then there are all the moments of being crowded into the backs of trucks, taking unexpected detours, getting lost, talking, laughing, and singing with friends, having the wind in your face, watching the jungle fly by, and wishing time would stand still.

No comments:

Post a Comment