Saturday, September 9, 2010
12:50 PM in Kolonia, 6:49 PM at home
It is a quiet and cool, overcast Sabbath right now. The week went by fast for me. It seems like I have spent most of the week grading and trying to rectify grades. Quarter finals are next week, and while I wasn’t planning on having any comprehensive tests in any of my classes, I think I may have to for Environmental Science. I don’t know what it is about that class, but I cannot seem to motivate them to do any work. The ones who are doing well in that class are already developed in their study skills, and don’t need any motivation to turn things in. The other half don’t even want to be there, not even for the sake of a grade, and their attendance records show it.
Is it me? Is it them? I’m pretty sure it’s not all me. I gave them a test on Thursday that had the exact same questions that were on the quiz I gave them and handed back two days before, and the exact same questions that also came straight from the book and their homework. Every single time I write a quiz or test, I tell myself that it’s way too easy and not challenging enough. Every single time, they prove me wrong. I was cringing grading their last test:
Name three of the four types of fungi.
“termites"
“humans”
Guys, you’re seniors in high school!!! The majority of you are months away from emancipation… This next question I know we went over three times:
What are nitrogen-fixing bacteria? Where do they live?
“nitrogen that fix bacteria”
“bacteria that come from the sun”
“they cause the precipitation of climate”
Every time I start to really enjoy this teaching thing, at least one of these classes will throw me another loop to make me doubt my effectiveness. Fortunately, I have had some encouraging moments this week. My favorite was giving one particular student his physics quiz back that he finally managed to get an A on. Actually, he earned 100% on it. I had to double check my grading, because I was surprised, but then I was trilled! He did tell me the day before that he was going to get an A on this quiz. I’m sorry I doubted. When I handed it back, he just sat in his desk the whole period and giggled like a little kid. To be honest, I was expecting shrieking and dancing and booyahs, but the grin was rewarding enough. If only the others in that class could reach that point, too. There are two in particular that try to come in after school and work with me, and they’re struggling. But probably two of the most patient and persevering students I have. I just hope they can keep up, I really enjoy having all of them in that class.
I get to know more of my students each week. It’s one of my favorite things about being here right now. As exasperated as they make me sometimes (see above), they’re all so different, and fun to be with if you can get them to lower their walls. There are some I still don’t know other than by name, but some are always coming by to say hi, study in my room after school, or even help me clean up. Some inspire me, especially on the days when I just don’t think I have enough energy to go through two more periods. Others I just wish I knew how to reach out to, but they don’t seem to respond to anything.
Some other things going on in my world this week:
Tuesday we lost our hot water. The hot water tank burst, sending a small flood all through our living room from the wash room next door. Had a smaller flood the next morning, too. Back to cold showers. One would think that cold water would be a great thing over hear (and it is), but I have already acclimated, and cold doesn’t feel as clean (dishes anyone?) On the other hand, on Tuesday we did get our phone line working. Finally! No one can call in, but we can call out, which is my newest tool for getting a hold of parents. I wish I had had it five weeks ago!
Basket ball tryouts have been going on for the boys varsity this last week. The coaches are working them hard. However, I have noticed that since tryouts started, classes have been a whole lot quieter than usual… win! Kendra and I went to go see what was going on Thursday night because the yelling was so loud (and grading was frankly depressing). It sounded like a bunch of girls yelling, but when we got there, the coaches had the basketball players doing wall squats and passing cinder blocks around. The peanut gallery could not remain quiet.
“My grandma does wall squats with two cinder bricks,” I half said to Kendra.
After the peanut gallery got bored, Kendra and I headed back to the apartment to finish grading. But it was raining hard, and we soon found that jumping in puddles and giggling like school girls was way more fun. So we went puddle jumping, frog chasing (they cover the sidewalks at night), skipping, and singing in the rain. We went around to the other apartments and tried to get the other SMs to join us, but none of them wanted to come out and play. Lame. So we had fun without them. You all are really missing out at home. I love my Oregon, but the rain there has nothing on Pohnpei’s. I LOVE THIS!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hooray for surprise As! We'll try to avoid puddles as long as possible tomorrow for the marathon - wet shoes get blisters on the feet... :)
ReplyDeleteHugs, Mom
Sounds like you are having an epic time! I'll have to lend you my copy of "Anguished English" sometime -- it's a collection of hilarious mistakes & typos, and one section is filled with students' answers on tests. (Example: "What are the three main types of columns?" "Corinthian, Ironic, and Dork.") I'm guessing you'll be able to write your own book by the time you're done. :)
ReplyDelete