Sunday, October 24, 2010

4-day Weekend

Monday, October 25, 2010
2:20 PM in Kolonia, 8:20 PM at home


This has been a fantastic four-day weekend! There was no school on Friday due to parent-teacher conferences, and today is UN Day, so there is no school again today. I am really loving these four-day school weeks, but they are slowing down how fast my classes can move through the chapters. I’ve had to do a lot of shuffling from what I initially planned to do. I can’t really move forward in the classes unless they’re getting it, because everything builds off previous material. Physics is the most frustrating in that aspect.

Parent-teacher conferences went pretty well. Except that the only parents who came in to see me were the ones whose children are doing quite well. The parents I really needed to see (and dreaded confronting at the same time) never showed up. Gonna be making a lot more phone calls in the future…

Sabbath was a full day. Brian and I did special music for Sabbath school, but we were late to church, so it felt rushed. But it still went well. I discovered that the tree right in front of the church is a starfruit tree – so cool to see the fruits hanging down! I want one! After church, Tim’s host mom and my host mom invited us and our roommates over for lunch. That was fun. Good food… mmm. That afternoon Mrs. Edward and the girls came over and we listened to Adventures in Odessey, and that night was church games in the gym. They split up the church and the missionaries into four groups, and we started a basketball tourney. Felt like a fish out of water. Have I mentioned I’ve never played basketball in my life? Nothing like trying something new in a new country! A little unconventional, but barefoot was way better than flip flops. The evening closed with a hula lesson with the roomies.

Yesterday we headed out to Nico for a school staff picnic. It was a nice and very relaxing day. We swam a little, ate a little, and chilled a lot. The park has pools of turtles, manta rays, and electric eels, but we didn’t see much of any. There was a young resident pig that kept making his way around. So funny to see a pig trotting across the beach!

Best part of the weekend though? Skyping with Karsten, Annie, Tristinn, and Kyle! It was like Detox Time in the Nature Center all over again, except in four different time zones… Can’t wait for camp next summer!

1 comment:

  1. Which fish like the pizza? :) And ripe starfruit may taste totally different than what we get in the stores here. :) Prayers for all of you!

    ReplyDelete